Note from Jay I. Hadley: Grandma Dagmar Augusta Wilhelmina Rasmussen had a sister named Valborg Henrietta Louise Rasmussen. My Aunt Valborg died in 1957. She had been married to David Ruben Wheelwright. She was a very compassionate lady. The information I knew about was she had a bad heart condition the last few years of her life. She did extensive research and histories on that side of my family. See
descendants of Wilhelm Gottfried Matheus Rasmussen for the genealogy I have on her.

Valborg was born June 3rd, 1857 in Copenhagen Denmark and later converted to the Mormon religion. Acting on the advice of Mormon Missionaries she immigrated to Box Elder County Utah and was a women of very strong in faith.

My Journey to Zion ancestry of Dagmar Augusta Wilhelmina Rasmussen
Funeral service program for Valborg Rasmussen Wheelwright. funeral service program

Jay Irvin Hadley a descendant of Ezekiel Hadley & Mormon Pioneers, John and Poly Marie Fox Shaw  

Jay Irvin is the great great grandson of William A. (Bill) Hickman.

Jay I. Hadley's great grandfather Jesse Lyman Vanderhoof

By Jay I. Hadley:

My grandpa on my mother’s sides name was Ernest Shaw born October 3rd 1877.

Grandpa Shaw ranched and farmed out near Snowville, Utah and Onieda County Idaho, near grandma's father, Jesse Vanderhoof's, ranch. I have heard that the road going in to the place was just over the Utah line and the other side was On Onieda County. My grandma Betsy Grace (Vanderhoof) Shaw's Betsy Grace Vanderhoof, December 22, 1884-October 22, 1964 - sister, Edith Vanderhoof Hurd and her husband Horton Hurd also had a ranch near or on Jesse's place and lived there until their death.

Jesse Vanderhoof left a good home in North, Ogden where he had been a blacksmith, raised horses and farmed alfalfa hay, to go out there to "Sage Brush Hell". At least one of his sons, Jesse Edward Vanderhoof thought he was crazy for going out there. All there was was sagebrush. They had to boil the water out of the creek for water to drink.

Ernest Shaw's sister,
Olive Theresa Shaw (great aunt Tress). I never met her however my cousins say she was a really great lady.

Jay ounce read a letter from his Grandma Grace Shaw.

She wrote when she lived on the farm at Snowville. They paint a picture of a very lonely young woman. That was typical of the farm women of the day. I think that's why they moved to town (Ogden). My mother told me while in Snowville, my grandpa worked hard in the fields all day from sun up to sun down. They would take him lunch out in the field where he would eat it and go back to work. Grandma got lonely out at Snowville and persuaded grandpa to moved into town. They moved to Ogden, Utah and lived in a big brick house on 12th Street. I had a photo I cherished very much of Ernest and Betsy Grace Shaw's two story brick family house taken from my grandma's old photo album that shows my grandpa and grandma in front of the house with my mother and her siblings. The house was later sold and moved to Willard, Utah.

Jay Irvin's Mother Lerona Mary Shaw was named after grandma Grace's sister Mary Lerona Vanderhoof, a grand daughter of William Adams and Minerva Hickman, my great great great Grande parents. Lerona Married Leroy "Roy" Showell in Malad, Idaho in 1913. Lerona Mary Showell died in 1952 just a year after I was born. I never bet her. My mom Lerona Mary Shaw was named after her. They were known as aunt Rona aunt May

Lerona Shaw's uncle Zudie "Zotique Perrault", that she talked about was hard working wheat dry farmer and my mom spoke fondly of her Uncle Zudie.

Zotique's place was located in Washington State. He and my great Aunt Esther (Esther Irene Vanderhoof) ran a big dry farm about five miles south of Prosser, Washington. After Zotique died in 1944 Zotique Perrault grave stone marker great Aunt Esther ran the farm into the 1950's. Latter she moved to a farm west of Prosser and raised race horses. There is still a "Hickman Road" and a "Perrault Road "up there off Washington state highway 221. Hickman road off Washington state highway 221

Mom went up there to visit when she was 18 years old, 1928.

Information below provided by a son of Blain Hickman a son of Earl Hickman.

"The Old Jesse Vanderhoof place was adjacent to Earl Hickman Ranch, Bill Hickman (his son) ranch or later the Baumgardner Ranch.
My Aunt May and Roy Showell ran that place. The last I heard, Carl Steed owned it.
Horton and Edith Hurd had a place that was just North of May and Roy Showell's.
Edmund and Rebecca Maude (Vanderhoof) Hurd had a place just South of Mary and Roy." Edmund Hurd was married to Rebecca Maud Vanderhoof, Grandma Grace Vanderhoof's sister, in 1915 out in Malad, Idaho).

"May and Roy lived about a mile away from our ranch. Maude and Edmond lived even closer. It was only half a mile. I never knew May she died when I was very young. Roy was a good old guy. He and my grandfather, Earl Hickman, were best of friends. We used to go help him haul hay and tend cows. I remember going on round ups with Roy and Grandpa and the cowboys. Those were exciting times for a little boy. Roy and Edmond had a little feud going before he died. There was some land adjacent to Roy's ranch that no one in particular claimed. He used it for pasture and such. I guess Edmond bought the property without Roy knowing and that upset Roy quite a bit. Edmond was well within his rights, but being friends and married to sisters they should have worked that deal out better. It's a shame that they were feuding in their old age."

Jay I. continues... My great great grandma was, Lerona Minerva (Hickman) Vanderhoof , 4th of 8 children born to Minerva Wade and William Adams Hickman. Lerona, the first white child born in Shambip, Rush Valley, now Tooele County, Utah, was just 15 when she married her husband, Jesse Lyman Vanderhoof. Together they had 15 children, beginning their family in Montana before permanently returning to Utah where they lived out the rest of their lives.

Lerona Vanderhoof's children as follows and many of them are in the photographs and portraits within this web site:

Huldah Abigail Vanderhoof, born May 31, 1872; Katharine Fidelia Vanderhoof, born May 11, 1873; Sarah Emma Vanderhoof (Sadie), born January 19, 1875; Artamiscia Donna Vanderhoof, born November 1, 1876; Jesse Edward Vanderhoof, born March 12, 1878; Giles Edgar Vanderhoof, born June 10, 1879; Jane Ellen Vanderhoof, born December 21, 1880; Gilbert Henry Vanderhoof, born October 6, 1882; Betsy Grace Vanderhoof, born December 22, 1884; Warren William Adams Vanderhoof, born July 25, 1885; May Lerona Vanderhoof, born October 10, 1889; Edith Lillian Vanderhoof, born July 12, 1892; Esther Irene Vanderhoof, born October 12, 1893; Rebecca Maud Vanderhoof, born August 25, 1895; Joseph Francis Vanderhoof, born March 6,1897 - death 1918.

There is a book written about my great great grandpa William Adams Hickman oldest son of
Edwin Temple Hickman and wife Elizabeth Adams.
Wild Bill Hickman and the Mormon Frontier by author Hope A. Hilton.

My great great grandpa William Adams Hickman was a Mormon polygamist. At one time he had 10 wives. My grandma Betsy Grace was born of his third wife, Sally Minerva Wade. There daughter Lerona Minerva Hickman was JIrvin's grandma Grace's mother.

Obituary for Lerona Hickman Vanderhoof:
Ogden Mrs. Lerona Hickman Vanderhoof, 83, widow of Jesse L. Vanderhoof, died at 8:45 p.m. Saturday at the home of a daughter, Mrs. Grace Shaw of 1165 Kiesel avenue, of causes incident to age. She had been in failing health for the past year.

Mrs. Vanderhoof was born January 12, 1856, the first white child born in the Little Cottonwood area of Rush Valley in Tooele county, a daughter of William and Minerva Wade Hickman. She moved to North Ogden with her parents when she was but a child, where she was married to Mr. Vanderhoof in 1869. They moved to Missoula, Mont., where they fought Indians until they decided to return to North Ogden to escape further trouble.

About 20 years ago they moved to Snowville, where she had resided until she came to stay with her daughter two weeks ago. She was a member of the L.D.S. church.

"Minerva (Wade) Hickman is buried in the Ben Lomond Cemetery located: North Ogden, Weber County Address: 526 East 2850 North Ogden.  The headstone does not mentions her maiden name, Wade. It reads Minerva W Hickman. She is buried about 50 yards South and about 30 Yards East of The Warren Wade and Barbara Woodland Headstone. Mary Ella's grave is next to Minerva's grave. The headstone doesn't say Mary it only says Ella."

About Grandpa Shaw by Jay I Hadley

From what my mother, Lerona May Shaw born March 12, 1910 told me, after they moved to town grandpa, Ernest Shaw got to drinking and gambling with the city slickers and they got most of the farm away from him. He must have been wealthy at one time. He owned property near 12 street and Washington Boulevard in Ogden, Utah. When the great depression hit they lost there house due to a mortgage.

He and grandma split up and he ended up in a little stone house on 13th Street close to 12th street. Grandma (Mrs. Grace Shaw) was able to purchase a house on 2 acres of land at 1150 Kiesel Avenue

Grandpa rolled his own Prince Albert cigarettes while sitting by the wood stove in his old stone house. My mom told me when she was a little girl he had her roll cigarettes for him and later she started smoking them herself and smoked all her life. I always loved that stone house, he had a huge raspberry patch in the yard. I could walk down the rows and the berry bushes were over my head. Mom and I would always go over and pick raspberries and she would preserve them. 13th Washington Ogden Grandpa Shaw's rock house was located at 1250 Grant Ave. Ogden, Utah.

Grandpa had a big nose, all the Shaw's did. My grandparents both ended up in a convalescing (rest) home out in Roy, Utah. That's where they passed away, out at Roy they called it, the Weber County Convalescing Home. In those days when you got old your kids sent you out to Roy. My grandpa Hadley died out there. There death certificates list that as there last place of residence. However they did not really do much living there. Grandma had lost her marbles by the time she was out there. She sometimes could not recognize her own daughter but she seemed to recognize her own husband. Mom said they passed each other in the hall out there and smiled at each other.

Betsy Grace Vanderhoof Katharine F. Vanderhoof

Kate Vanderhoof (Katharine Fidelia (Vanderhoof) Wells right, resembles my grandma Grace. They were sisters.

go to photograph of Ethel and Betsy Grace Vanderhoof, Eddie Vanderhoof holding baby, Olean Vanderhoof. Kneeling is, Chester (Chet) Archibald who married Cleo Vanderhoof.

Historic photograph of Ethel, May, and, my grandma, Betsy Grace Vanderhoof, Eddie Vanderhoof holding baby, Olean Vanderhoof. Kneeling is, Chester (Chet) Archibald who married Cleo Vanderhoof, Eddy's sister. Far right is Cleo Vanderhoof, sister to Eddie, daughter of Ethel and Warne Vanderhoof and granddaughter of Lerona Hickman Vanderhoof. Picture taken somewhere in Oregon we think.

William Warren Vanderhoof born 1885 married Ethel Cleotha Sparks 1907 in Stone, Oneida, Idaho. He died in McMinnville, Yamhill, Oregon - 1968. notes: listed in the WWI Civilian Draft Registration in Oneida, ID. UT WEBER NORTH OGDEN PCT 1900 1910 & 1920 census Holbrook, Oneida, Idaho. more information... Warren and Ethel Vanderhoof family album

The Vanderhoof people I have living in Oregon in my records are: George W. Vanderhoof born 1897 the son of George D. Vanderhoof, son of Francis H. Vanderhoof residing:(1860 Chester, Ottawa, Michigan. 1870 census West Chehalan precinct, Yamhill, Oregon. 1900 census Star Pct, Malheur, Oregon. 1910 censuses Ontario & South Vale, Malheur, Oregon 1920 census North Vale, Malheur, Oregon - stock raiser) George D. Vanderhoof's daughter Eva L. Vanderhoof born in Oregon 1895.

Gilbert Vanderhoof (1900 census Siever's Creek Pct., Clackamas, Oregon. Logger 1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon. general farmer Laborer) Jesse Vanderhoof born 1901 Oregon (1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon.) John Vanderhoof born 1875 Oregon (1900 census Siever's Creek Pct, Clackamas, Oregon 1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon. Mail Carrier) Lela Vanderhoof born 1903 (1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon.) Lilly Vanderhoof born 1908 (1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon.) Nichalis Vanderhoof b 1908 (1900 Siever's Creek Pct, Clackamas, Oregon 1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon - hired man farm laborer - 1920 census Bull Run precinct, Clackamas, Oregon - farmer) Tracy Vanderhoof b 1880 (1900 census Siever's Creek Pct, Clackamas, Oregon. 1910 census Bull Run, Clackamas, Oregon. farm laborer. 1920 census Bull Run precinct, Clackamas, Oregon - laborer lumber mill)

Grandpa Ernest Shaw's grandfather John Shaw, and families, and his father Ambrose, were among the first pioneer settlers in the Great Salt Lake Valley. Latter know as Utah.

My grandpa Shaw's father was early Utah pioneer and settler, Ambrose Shaw the son of Mormon pioneer John Shaw and Poly Maria (Fox) Shaw.

Ambrose Shaw Ambrose Shaw was a pioneer coming to Utah by a wagon train part of the Spencer Eldredge Company in 1847 taking part in the Mormon migration from Illinois to Iowa then Utah.

He married Pamela Dunn just before their exodus with the Mormon Pioneers to Utah.

He was later married to
Mrs. Minerva Pease Stone on January 1, 1875. His early house was built on a hill where the LDS Mound Fort Ward is now. It was then known as Mound Fort.

Ambrose migrated west with the Mormons but never joined the church until about a year before his death.

My aunt Bev told me Ambrose got mad at the Mormons.

He did not join the church until just before his death.

His father, John Shaw, resided at Victor until 1825 when he moved to Bennington, New York. In 1842 he became a member of the Latter Day Saints Church. He was baptized by Elder Sweet. In 1843-1844, he moved with most of his family to Laharp, Hancock County, Illinois. In 1845 John and Maria were endowed in the New Latter day saints Temple at Nauvoo, Illinois. In 1846 they moved with the exodus of saints to Council Bluffs, Iowa, then known as Kanesville. In 1848, they moved to the "Valleys of the Mountains" in Lorenzo Snow's Company. When nearing the end of their journey at Weber River, his Company received orders to await the arrival of President Brigham Young's company. On their arrival, both companies continued on to the Great Salt Lake Valley, arriving at Great Salt Lake City which it was then called; Valley of the Mountains, September 20, 1848.

In 1978 an article appeared in the Ogden Standard Examiner written by William Terry about my great grandpa
Ambrose Shaw...

In a small village of Victor, New York about 10 miles south of Hill Cumorah Ambrose Shaw, a Utah Pioneer of 1847, was born September 12, 1825.
His parents, , John and Polly Maria Fox Shaw left New York state when Ambrose was in his teens and settled in Illinois for a time. It is interesting to note that his parents joined the Mormon church but none of their children were baptized at that time.

When the saints were driven from Illinois in 1846, John and Polly Shaw and four of their sons started west with them while three other sons and a daughter settled in Illinois and Iowa. As the refugees traveled westward and they had picked a spot to camp for the night, they would clear a place to not only pitch their tents or other coverings but they also cleared a place where they could play games, dance and sing.

Among the members of their company was the family of James and Sally Dunn with their beautiful 16 year old daughter Pamela.

Pamela and Ambrose were married on June 22, 1846, near Mt. Pisgah, Iowa.

Ambrose and Pamela's parents fitted them out with an ox team, a wagon and supplies for the trip across the plains. They joined the second company to start for the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, arriving in the Weber Valley in September 1847. In the same company was Lorin Farr who was only four years older than Ambrose. These two later became very good friends and co-workers in Ogden. ... continued on separate page -->

On March 3rd 1886 there was a horrible fire at the Ambrose and Minerva Shaw House at Mound Fort Settlement. At the time just north of Ogden city. Two girls were burned to death ages 14 and 6. One was Ambrose's daughter. Read the account printed in the Deseret Evening News. 1886_house-fire.pdf

Jay Irvin's great grandpa Ambrose Shaw helped build Farr's Fort

Weber County, Utah has a monument with g-g grandpa's name on it: Marker at 1049 Canyon Road – Farr's Fort Across Mill Creek is the location of the five acre Farr's Fort. It was erected in 1850 by Lorin Farr, Ezra Chase, Ambrose Shaw, John Shaw, Charles Hubbard, and other settlers to protect themselves from Indian attacks. The fort was enclosed on the east, south, and west by houses joined end to end and facing inward. The spaces between the houses were picketed with poles and extending upward some 12 feet. The north wall was never completed. Nearly all the settlers on the north side of the Ogden River lived in this fort at one time. Lorin Farr moved into town in 1853 and shortly thereafter the fort was abandoned. The land is now owned by a grandson of Lorin Farr, R. Kenneth Farr.
The Farr fort was designed to enclose all the territory within what is now Wall and Madison Avenues (1940), and 21st and 28th Streets. Soon after 1858 Ogden ceased to be a small frontier town huddled within its fort walls. Eventually the walls had completely disappeared. The population of Ogden City in 1860 was 1,464 people, 323 more than the total population of the entire county ten years earlier.
More about Farr's Fort -->

Myrtillo Shaw (John Shaw's brother) built his house in the corner of Farr's Fort in 1850.

In the spring of 1849 Ambrose Shaw and his wife moved to the Ogden River, locating on the north side of the river where he built one of the first three houses north of Ogden River. Here he raised a crop of corn and wheat, the corn being the first raised in what is now known as Weber County. There were at this time but five families as far north as Ogden River. They were the Browns, Sheldon's and Burch families on the south and Chase Hubbard and Ambrose and William Shaw on the north.

Here too, he helped to construct the first irrigation ditch in Weber county. Other ditches were named after local citizens, Enoch Farr's Ditch, the Stone Ditch (named for Amos P. Stone), and the Tracy - Shaw Ditch (named after Moses Tracy and Ambrose Shaw). See Ogden pioneer ditches .

In 1850 Ambrose Shaw built a log cabin in Farr's Fort and moved into it. This cabin being the second from the southeast corner of the Fort in the south row of houses the first house west of the Lorin Farr residence. There were about 60 families, 250 souls; living in the Fort in the winter of 1850-1851. In 1852-1853, Ambrose Shaw moved to what was known as Mound Fort located on the north side of what is now 12th Street and on the west side of Washington Avenue in Ogden Utah. Continued on page 7 of the

Jay Irvin Family History

Jay Irvin Hadley is a descendant of Ezekiel Hadley and John Shaw.

Ezekiel Hadley born 1752 in Halesowen, England.

Ezekiel's son William Hadley born 1778 in Halesowen, Worcestershire County, England had a son named Thomas E. Hadley born 1824 in Smethwick, Staffordshire, England. Thomas E. Hadley was my great great grandfather and his son Joseph Ellsworth Hadley was my grandfather. He migrated to Brigham City, Utah when he was 9 years old from Berkshire, MA.

His wife Dagmar Rasmussen was of Danish decent. Because his ancestors were Mormon there is much history to be found about them. Many immigrants to early Brigham City (Box Elder County) were of Danish Decent brought over by Mormon Missionaries.

Read My Journey to Zion by grandma's sister Valborg Rasmussen.

Hadley Family History by Jay Irvin Hadley

My grandpa on my father's side was Joseph Ellsworth Hadley born, August 19th 1869 in East Lanesboro Mass. To Thomas Hadley & Elizabeth Griffith Hadley. Isn't that odd, my birthday is August 20th.

Thomas Hadley was born Dec 31 1824 in Smethwick, Stafford England, and married Nov 4 1846 in Warwick England.

Joseph E. Hadley's son, my dad, Irvin Joseph Hadley, was born in September 26 1900 in Brigham City, Utah.

My grandma on my father's side was Dagmar Rasmussen Hadley
She was born in 1868 in Copenhagen, Denmark and died 1947, 4 years before I was born.
She was a wonderful, kind woman on earth and truly an amazing spirit.

After Irvin and Lerona were married May l943 in Farmington, Utah they lived in grandma Grace Shaw's trailer court on Kiesel Ave. a dead end off of 14th street.

Jay Irvin Hadley met Kathryn Zadrozny in 1973 she lived in Kaysville, Utah at the time. Her mother owned and lived in a historic Victorian style house there. One day we went out to Centerville to see her horses. Her mother Ruth (Pence) Hunter married a James Pack Hunter and they had bought these horses at that time. Kathy was the best thing that ever happened to me in my life. I was often told by friends and acquaintances how hard it was to find a women that would go out to the mountains and deserts and live like we did. It was a miracle I found her. We have been married for 38+ years.

Jay I. mother Lerona Mary Hadley was a seamstress in Ogden. She worked at the Utah Tailoring Mills formerly the Ogden Utah Knitting Company. In March of 1934, J. Clyde Buehler and his best friend, Norman B. Bingham, founded Utah Tailoring Mills. She quit there when he was born in 1951 and returned after he was old enough to take care of himself. She worked hard there many years for not much over minimum wage about $1.65 in the 60's. There was no health care no retirement. Buehler and Bingham owned the company and they got rich and paid the seamstresses minimum wage. I remember mom telling me she got a nickel an hour raise one year. She told me the salesmen made very good money. It was monotonous work sitting behind a sewing machine. Mom used to tell me. "You try sitting behind a sewing machine for 30 years!"

The Irvin Joseph Hadley family genealogy continued on ... NEXT.

This page updated December 01 31 2019