Story taken from: Utah Since Statehood V-II
published by the
S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago-Salt Lake.

There was no phase of pioneer life in Utah with which Ambrose Shaw was not familiar and he became a well known figure in the inter mountain district. He made his home in Ogden and in the early days he was called upon to aid in the protection of the settlers against Indian outbreak. All of the hardships and privations of frontier life became familiar to him and he bore an active and helpful part in the work of general development and improvement.

He was born in Victor, Ontario county, New York, on the 12th of September, 1824, and his life record covered the intervening years to the 15th of January, 1906. He was then in the eighty-second year of his age. His boyhood and youth had been passed in Victor and in Bennington, New York, where he remained until 1843. He was then a young man of nineteen years. He accompanied his parents on their removal westward to La Harpe, Illinois, where he met Miss Pamelia Dunn, a daughter of James and Sally (Barker) Dunn. The young couple were married at Mount Pisgah, Iowa, on the 22d of June, 1846, and they began their domestic life at Kanesville, near Council Bluffs, Iowa, but the following spring they started again for the west, being among the first ten of the second company of pioneers to arrive in Salt Lake City. They reached their destination in September, 1847, and on Cottonwood creek Mr. Shaw assisted in the construction of the first irrigation ditch. In the spring of 1849 he removed to Ogden, locating on the north side of the Ogden river, where he raised a crop of corn and wheat, the corn being the first produced in Weber county. The Shaw's were one of the first four families living in the district at that time. Mr. Shaw also helped build the first ditch in Weber county and at all times he was closely identified with every interest and movement that had to do with the development and up-building of his section of the state. He participated in the only two Indian uprisings in Weber county, the first occurring in 1850, when Chief Tarakee of the Shoshone tribe was killed by a white man while in the act of stealing corn. Fearing an attack of the Indians, Mr. Shaw with four others was sent out to warn the settlers of North Ogden to come to the settlement for protection and to gather in their stock from the ranges. They were pursued by a hand of Indians, but through the fleetness of his horse Mr. Shaw managed to arrive in safety. One of the party, a Mr. Campbell, however, was killed and a Mr. Bronson had his horse drop dead as he rode into the valley. The next outbreak occurred in July, 1859, when there was a reunion of the Dunn family being held at the residence of Bishop Thomas Dunn, of North Ogden, but Bishop Dunn pacified the Indians by giving them beef and several sacks of flour. Mr. Shaw furnished teams and in other ways gave valuable assistance at various times for the support and relief of emigration companies in crossing the plains. He was a man of very charitable purpose, constantly extending a helping hand where aid was needed, and his many good deeds have made his memory a most revered one.

On the 21st of March, 1871, Mrs. Pamelia Shaw passed away and on the 1st of January, 1875, Mr. Shaw was married to Minerva P. Stone. He became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the 9th of May, 1905.

During his lifetime Mr. Shaw was a most active and energetic figure in business circles and did much for the material up-building of Ogden and Weber county. He was identified with every movement of progress that had to do with the community and he became a well known figure in the inter-mountain region. He was a man of industrious habits and sterling worth whose life was filled with good deeds inspired by high and noble impulses. He made valuable contribution to the development of his section of the state and the memory of his upright life remains as a blessed benediction to all who knew him.

Ambrose ShawAmbrose Shaw gif