Skip Navigation Links

Pioneer and prominent man of Utah. Ambrose Shaw colonized Utah.

Settler Ambrose Shaw

This letter was written by Minerva Shaw and was in the possession of my great aunt Tress (Theresa Shaw) then given to my Aunt Melba Minerva Shaw and emailed to me, for publication on this web site. 2008 ...jayih

My husband did not belong to any church so out of respect for his feelings I took no active part in it till 1904 when I began reading church works and praying for the betterment of conditions in our home. I prayed for light and that I might help humanity, that my duty might be made plain, and the answer came. "Put your own house in order first." Then I gave up trying to teach Physical Culture (and it was a trial because I loved it so much.) and devoted my time and influence with my own family for good.
Then it was that my husband began to be impressed with a desire to know for himself, the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ; and with his own free will and accord asked for baptism in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
He was baptized in May 1905, To the Temple Sep 1905, Died Jan 15th 1906.

This is Mother, Minerva Shaw's own data. It is Precious I want you to share it. signed, July 8 1973 Aunt Tress.

In 1978 an article appeared in the Ogden Standard Examiner written by William Terry about my great grandpa Ambrose Shaw.

In a small village of Victor, New York about 10 miles south of Hill Cumorah Ambrose Shaw, a Utah Pioneer of 1847, was born September. 12, 1825.

His parents left New York state when Ambrose was in his teens and settled in Illinois for a time. It is interesting to note that his parents joined the LDS church but none of their children were baptized at that time.

When the saints were driven from Illinois in 1846, John and Polly Shaw and four of their sons started west with them while three other sons and a daughter settled in Illinois and Iowa. As the refugees traveled westward and they had picked a spot to camp for the night, they would clear a place to not only pitch their tents or other coverings but they also cleared a place where they could play games, dance and sing.

Among the members of their company was the family of James and Sally Dunn with their beautiful 16 year old daughter Pamela.

Pamela and Ambrose were married on June 22, 1846, near Mt. Pisgah, Iowa.

Ambrose and Pamela's parents fitted them out with an ox team, a wagon and supplies for the trip across the plains. They joined the second company to start for the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, arriving in the valley in September 1847. In the same company was Lorin Farr who was only four years older than Ambrose. These two later became very good friends and co-workers in Ogden.

In the spring of 1847 Ambrose and Pamela Shaw moved to Brownsville where they settled north of the Ogden river along with Ambrose's brother William and John, and friends Wells Chase and Charles Hubbard.

In September of 1849, Brigham Young and a group of LDS authorities made their first visit to the area and selected and laid out the city between the forks of Ogden and Weber rivers. Brigham Young proposed the name of the city be Ogden after the famous trapper Peter Skeen Ogden.

The visitors decided to try their luck fishing on the Ogden River which they found teeming with mountain trout. They were very successful.

It is reported that Ezra Chase told Brigham Young, "The Land is very productive in grain and a short distance below here it will yield one hundred bushels of crickets and 50 bushels of mosquitoes per acre."

Ambrose and Pamela Shaw are listed with the first settlers in Farr's Fort which was built west of Farr's grist and saw mill in 1850. The fort was abandoned about 1853.

By this time the Shaw's had bought a piece of land about a mile west where they were living when it became necessary to construct a fort for themselves and their neighbors.

They located the new for on a small hill which became known as Mound Fort. The fort was never completed and was never used for protection as most of the Indians were very peaceful and actually pitched their tents at the foot of the west escarpment which formed the west wall of the fort.

Ambrose was a very successful farmer and cattle man.

He and Pamela continued to live in Mound Fort and in the late 1860's Pamela's health failed and she became an invalid. Ambrose hired Minerva Peas Stone to be housekeeper in their home and to take care of his wife who later died in the arms of Minerva on 21 March 1871, not having any children to survive her.

On January 1, 1875, Ambrose and Minerva were married. He was 51 and she was 23. Their first child they named Ambrose Amos, the others followed in this order: Ernest, Eva Pamelis, Cordelia, Minerva, Merlin and Olive Theresa, Cordelia was born December 12, 1881 and died Oct 10, 1883.

In on March 6th 1886 tragedy again struck the family. There house caught fire and was completely destroyed. Minerva threw a mattress from the second floor balcony which saved most of the children who jumped on it, while she handed Ambrose the nine month old Merlin. Pamela and her cousin Millie Jones were burned to death in their beds. Minerva was badly burned and remained a cripple for several years.

Ambrose built her a new home on 13th and Washington Blvd in Ogden, Utah where he lived out the remainder of his 81 years and so did Minerva who passed away in 1936.

Before he passed away he joined the LDS Church and he and Minerva went to the Salt Lake Temple to have marriage blessed and sealed. After that he often chided Minerva for not insisting that he join the church earlier.