Minerva Wade Hickman bio

Mt great great grandmother was Minerva Wade Hickman.

Biography from her own words taken from documents at the Harold B. Lee Library.
download the document

Moses and Sally M Wade were baptized before 1937 town of Farmersville County NY Baptized in to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by Elder Eli White. Emigrated from there in August 1841, came to Nauvoo and settled down in Hendrick County near Laharp. A branch of the church was organized by brother Samuel Snider was appointed President, stayed in that branch of the church until the fall of 1849 then we were driven into the city of Nauvoo by the mob. We had to flee there for safety it was very distressing time as my grandmother Mary Brady was very sick at that time also my sister Sarah Maria and her husband James Monroe Elliot. My grandmother died four days later and was buried in the city on the lot belonging to brother Jacob Gates by the side of his brother who had died a few days prior to her. I had always felt her days were shortened by the mob driving us or her out into the night for then was when we had to travel as in daylight they would be together for the Mob Consequences. She died a martyr for his religion and their church and Kingdom in the April of the spring of 46.

We gathered together what we could of our belongings that the mob had left and started to the Rocky Mountains with the church and made our way across the Doway Territory from the Mississippi River to the Maison River. There, my pen failed to write the description of suffering of the Saints in the snow, rain and mud and scanty provisions and all seemed to make it harder if possible. But with all we were a cheerful crowd and a motley one too. It was toil all day through mud and water and the boys night herd, the older folks trying to make things cheerful and pleasant for the men and boys. Sundays we laid over as often as we could find a camping ground and hold meetings. I don’t remember having complaints because of our poverty and hardships. We were all working with a will to get westward where we could live our religion and peace. Later on we came to the Mississippi River and had crossed over the river.

Then or about that time came the call for the Mormon battalion to go to California and fight the Mexicans. The call was obeyed. My brother Edward enlisted. Father told Mother that it would not do for him to go alone with his poor health so it decided Father was to go. It seems from what they have told me father stood the journey better than my brother Edward did. Father cared for him when he was sick and did not give him the poisonous drugs the doctor was compelling the soldiers to take, my father being a doctor and understanding all medicine. When the poison medicines he done what he was a mind to without with it and the boys got well or many of them did. A great many of them fell by the wayside some of them were sick had to be left at Pueblo and different points of the journey and the able men went on to California. My father and brother Edward being with that party. They went through to the end of the journey and were honorably discharged one year from the day they enlisted which was the 16th of July 1840 and we're discharged the 16th of July 1841.

They worked and accumulated means to come down with as they thought but on their way to the Salt Lake they met the express from here sent by president Bingham Brigham Young to say to the men they had not best come on to the valley unless they had provisions enough to last them till they could raise something to eat, for they did for if they did they would starve to death. So brother Edward let father have all he could spare of his outfit, just kept enough of it to last him back to the settlement, provisions, horses and mules and all and Father started for the valley. Some of the company had their provisions packed on wild horses one they and when they came near where other wild horses were they stampeded and went off with their provisions. My father with the rest of the company had to divide his provisions with the men to keep them from starvation so when he came here to the valley there was no provisions to be bought. He would sell a horse for a quarter of beef when he could sometimes he would go into the mountains and cut small trees and make brooms of them and in the spring he got some brooms and some seeds planted planted it and it grew nicely then he started to make brooms and got along somewhat the women would let him have a little something to eat for a broom and he got along some better but it was hard work for everybody to live there without with nothing to buy or sell all were alike.

While my Father and Brother were having their trouble in California and in the Valley of Salt Lake, my Mother and me still were having our troubles. When Father went away he left us and all of the property in the care of Janorin Dame. On the north side of the Missouri River there were three companies being made up to come ahead to the Rocky Mountains. Bishop Miller and Brother Emmet were the leaders of two companies. Emmet had been on this side of the river ever since Brother Joseph Smith was killed for he was preparing the son of Brother Joseph to come west when he was killed. He was like a lost sheep. He did not know where to go so he stayed with the Indians and lived as best he could with his family till the move from Nauvoo. Then he fell in with Bishop Miller’s company and traveled with them and stayed with them till spring. Then the whole or all the companies broke up and went for their selves in the spring of 47.

Brigham Young and Heuber Keimble each had a company. They were called Brigham’s company and Heuber’s company. I was in Brigham’s company and Brother Brigham. The Miller company were quite a ways out and were stopping at Lake Forks when our company learned of it, there arose a dispute when the companies met about which party should take the lead and there were men sent back to Council Bluffs to see what President Young said was best to do. When they got there where the leaders were, President Young told them they had delayed so long they had best not get into the mountains to freeze to death, but to stop somewhere and winter, the best place they could find.

They did so. Brother Emmet had made the acquaintance of some friendly Indians while out on his exile. They were called Punckchaw Indians (Piankashaw Indians). They invited us to their homes, which was along the Missouri River. We were about a month or more traveling there. It was a rough journey up hill, down dale till at last we got to where we was to build our cabins. I was taken sick with the fever and ague (malaria ) just after starting on our journey. It lasted me till we got here. We stayed for the winter namely the Piankashaw Nation. When we got settled for the winter, I got better. Mrs. Dame and my Mother were both invalids. Mrs. Dame diplopic and was sick. At the time Mother’s health was very poor and when cold weather set in it was hard on them. Temporary houses were built for the winter and the stock sent to herd, excepting for a few milk cows. The young men that were able attended the stock and the older men that were thinking they could go to the valley in the spring took turns and went back to winter quarters and from there to Missouri to trade for flour and provisions for the coming years and to work in the winter and return in the spring in time to start for the Rocky Mountains when the other companies started on that journey. Mrs. Dame was quite feeble when Brother Dame left her. Soon after he was gone, little Simon the baby boy about two years old took sick and died. After that Mrs. Dame seemed to gradually fail until she died. She died the first part of January in 1847.

When she died, it was a sorrowful time. Her sister was there with her and her husband William Dame. He was a nephew to Jenoran Dame, the man that Father had left Mother and myself with. Sister Lovina said to me, “Minerva, you must fix to do the best you can. I am all broke up. I can’t help you. You know where everything is, do the best you can.” And her husband took her from the room. I thought old people would have to lay her out and prepare her for the burial but when the old people were called on, there was no one to come forward to help me. Marthy Lenia, a young girl a year younger than myself came to me and said, “Minerva, you and me can do this.” I said, “Oh no, Marthy, I never touched a dead person and I can’t do it.” She said, “Yes you can if you will try. I had to help lay out my own Mother in Nauvoo, there was so many sick and dying. I could not get help and I know how to do it as well as the old people.” I told her I would try and to the best I could if she would help me. We worked together, her knowing what to do and me knowing where the closet things were. We got along nicely and the old people thought we done it just right. All my life since that time as often as was necessary, I have been called to attend the dead and dying. I’ve spent while I live on the Earth to continue in helping to fulfill that mission. My Mother was very sick then and continued sick till spring. In fact, she never got well but lingered on till the 8th of October, 1848. Then she passed to the other side where the weary soul can rest from the cares of this life for her life was a life of suffering since she was quite young. She had been given up by many doctors in New York with consumption. They said there was no cure for her. It was only a matter of a short time that she could live at best. That is the way the gospel found my dear Mother, just a few days after Brother Joseph Smith and his father and the leading elders left New York for the last time to go to Kirkland Ohio. They held a day or two meeting in the town of Freedom about three miles from where my Father lived. One of my Father’s brother’s old friends from Freedom, named Ira Hatch, knowing of Mother’s sickness, came to our house. They were Latter Day Saints and having just been with the prophet seemed to be filled with the Holy Ghost. When he and his wife came into the house it seemed to me, a child as I was. Something heavenly was there, such a healing influence came with them.

My Mother was bolstered up in a trundle bed made for that purpose with textures and curtains around it drawn close to the fire so as not to let any cold air on her night or day. The fire in the large fireplace was let go out. Everything was being done to keep her alive. She had not been able to speak out loud since the cold weather set in. This is the way she was when they came to us. They brought one of the first papers that had ever been printed. I think it was the times, and seasons. They also brought the Book of Mormon for her to read and told her how it had come about. That an angel had come to this earth and revealed and conferred the everlasting gospel on Joseph Smith and that all the gifts that the ancient apostles had conferred on them were again bestowed on the Earth and the church was fully organized in this last dispensation. If she had faith to receive the gospel, she could claim the promise and be healed. They had prayers with us and left us with a promise to come again to us. Soon, in a week or two, they came again, brought the Book of Doctrine and Covenants and left that. From the time they began to pray for her and she began to read, she began to improve. Brother Hatch was only a teacher but he sent the elders to preach and talk to her. Time went on in this way, the elders exhorting and teaching and her listening and reading till spring came and the first of April came.

Then she wanted to be baptized. My Father, all this time, was a faithful (?) And when Mother wanted to be baptized, he questioned himself about it and asked his Mother about it. She told him not to cross her in anything, for she could not live long anyway. The rest of his people were not questioned on the subject. Finally time came for the baptism. On the meeting Brother Hatch’s family and Grandmother Wade and Grandmother Brindy and the two elders Brother White and elder Heicks were there. Mother had gotten so she could be lifted into a large armchair and be propped up with pillows. When the meeting was over, the sled as it was called was brought to the door with oxen hitched to it and a bed put into it. She was carried in arms and laid on the bed. They had to go across the farm to a stream of water to baptize her. It was over a long hill. I remember she was brought back, clothes changed and the folks all went home but the elders. Supper was over a great deal of preaching and explaining the gospel. Finally, prayer time came, for my parents were strictly religious, Father a Baptist and Mother a Methodist. Prayers were over. The elders set two chairs, one for Father and said, “Brother Wade, we are going to set your house in order. Brother Wade, you sit here, Sister Wad, you sit in this one.

Father was placed to the head of his family, then Mother was confirmed a member of the church. When that was done, they laid hand on Mother for her health and told her she should be healed. She truly was healed the next morning while my sister Sarah and myself were lying in bed, we looked up and saw our mother helping our Grandmother Brindy fixing breakfast. We were surprised for we had never seen her around the house before to work. I was merely seven years old. We thought it was because there was company. Breakfast over and a chapter read in the Bible where it says,“Oh! Foolish Galations who hath witched you that you could not obey the truth. It seemed to prick Father to the heart. A hymn was sung and prayers over. Mother took Father by the arm and said, “Moses come, go with me.” He said, “I am not worthy.” Elder White said, “Yes, Brother Wade, you are. Go and be baptized. Sister Wade come, go along, it won’t hurt you a bit.” So it ended. My Mother walked the distance she had been carried on the day before to see Father baptized and sang all the way there and back and was comparatively a well woman till the move from Nauvoo, then the hardships she had to endure were more than she was able to stand. The food was limited and poor, mostly sea biscuits and a little corn meal for bread sometimes a little fresh game. We had to divide our provisions with the Indians to keep peace with them and to keep them from killing our cattle so that made it harder for us to get through the winter. The disease called “scurvy” or “Black leg” was in the camp. That was what ailed Mother and I had it too. I thought I had frozen my feet going around the house doing the work and taking care of the sick. My feet were so very bad and my ankles were so sore, the cords of my ankles were severely bad; I could hardly step. The flesh seemed to slough off and leave the cords bare. No one can imagine my suffering. It proved to be the scurvy or black leg that ailed me. My Mother was severely sick and I had to exert every muscle I had to keep up a little to take care of her. I was young and my time had not come. When the winter broke, I got better. The first of April Brother Dame and the rest of the men that went down to Missouri to get provisions returned for their families. Then all was in a hurry to get ready for to start back to winter quarters and there was several very sick. My Mother and Vinson Shirtliffs were the worst ones. I got the wagon fixed and fixed her on the bed as best I could and four men carried her on the bed and put her in the wagon and crossed the river. The water was so very high that the men had to put large blocks of wood under the bolsters of the wagons and under the wagon box to keep the water from running in the boxes of the wagons. Sister Shirtlif was so very sick they stayed two days waiting for her to dry before they started but concluded they would move her. It would make a change for the better. It did for she got well and was alive, the last I knew of her. Mother seemed to rally a little when we got down to winter quarters. She was able to walk around for about two weeks. Then she took to her bed and kept to it till she died in the fall of 48. Dame left Mother and myself in winter quarters six weeks while he went to Missouri and back.

At the end of six weeks he came back to winter quarters and moved us over the Missouri River to Keanesville where we lived till Mother’s death. Her sufferings were extreme, greater than I can tell. My pen can not write them. Mother realized that her days were numbered and about two months before she died there was a font prepared for her request to be baptized in and she was baptized. She was very desirous to have everything done that she could do to help her get into the Celestial Kingdom. Said that she had helped to lay the foundation of the kingdom and was desirous that her children should join together and help to build up the kingdom of God. The night she died Sister Daly, Sister Bowen and Sister Williams said they would stay with me so I could lie down and have a little rest for I had not been to bed for about three months. What rest I had gotten was sitting in a chair by her bed with her bed for a pillow. I had always to be near her. I had not been lain down very long before I was called up and told Mother wanted to talk to me. I got up and went to her. She talked to me and told me of the situation of the family, how we were scattered and of my sisters going back east and of Father and Edward being in California and perhaps they might not live to get back to the church. She said she could not die in peace without knowing she had one child that would do as she wanted them to do. She then said. “Will you covenant with me these three witnesses to do what I ask you to do?” She had taken me by the hand. I told her a promise made to the living should be sacred to the dead and I would try and do the best I could. She then went on and told me the situation of the family and how we were all scattered, and  she did not know as any one of them would ever get back to the church or not. She then told me she wanted me to come with the church the first of eternity. I had to stay with the church as long as I lived and carry out the work she had commenced. I told her I would try and do the best I could. She then said she could die in peace. She only spoke once to me after that. I was standing over her weeping. She only said, “Dear child, don’t weep for me. I will be better off. Weep for yourself. You are the one that will see trouble.” It seems to me now that she must have had a presentment of my future life for my life since then has been a checkered one all the way through. As one trial passes away there seems something else coming along to take its place.

The next day was a sad day for me. I got her ready for the burial. She had her clothes made and ready to put on her when they were needed and she was to have been buried in the afternoon about 2 o’clock. The bishop, Brother Knight came to me and told me I would have to fix to keep my Mother overnight for he could not possibly get anyone that had a time to stop work long enough to take her to the grave. He called me to the door to look over to Henry Miller’s store. There was his turn standing by the store and he could not spare time to take Mother about half a mile to the grave. His wife was there and heard what he’d said to me. He went away and just before sundown he came back again and told me when he left my house he had not gone very far before he met Brother Hickman with his ox team and Em Neecham, a boy that was living with him. He told him he wanted him and his team that afternoon. He said he could have it and then asked him what he wanted of it for. He told him Sister Wade was dead and he wanted to bury her that night. They went right back home and got ready. The two girls came along, Elisabeth and Catherine. When they got there, it was nearly sundown but it was no choice for me. They helped me fix her to be put away that night. There was about five girls to go with me about my own age and by the time the hill was reached the sun was gone down. I alone mourner, not one dear friend to say one comforting word. The five girls, the two young men that dug the grave Albert Boen and Finias Daly, the Bishop Knight and William A Hickman, Emery Meecham, a lad. By the time it was all over it was real dark. That was the greatest change of my life. It changed me from a frivolous girl to a woman. It made me realize that I had no friends. It seemed what few things was left, someone was ready to take them from me. I was young and inexperienced before Mother died. She let old man Daly take the calf to winter and we was to pay him for wintering it but when Mother was gone he kept the calf and would not let me have it. I sold the cow for eight dollars to get me some clothes so I could go away to work to make my outfit to come to the valley to my people for Father and Edward were both there. Then I fixed my things as best I could and went over on the other side of the Missouri River to the Bell View Mission and worked all winter till spring and just as the ice was breaking up I crossed the Missouri River. As I was crossing over, the ice swayed and bent under the horse and carriage. That night the river broke and the ice was gone the next morning.

I went back to Keanesville to get ready to come to the valley. It seemed that everything went wrong that I intended or undertook to do. I was determined to do as I had promised Mother I would do. I wanted to come to the valley single but I could not get here without getting married so I married in polygamy. I thought I was doing it for the best. Perhaps it was, I might alone move. I married the man that helped the bishop put Mother away when richer men would not help. Henry Miller his turn stood by the store doing nothing. He could not afford the time to go half a mile with Mother to the grave. That hurt me. I felt bad before but that made me feel more lonely. When Bishop Knight came and told me I would have to fix to keep Mother overnight because he could not get anyone to take her to the grave. This was about 2 o’clock. Just before the sun went down, the bishop came back with help of Hickman and a boy that was living with him named Emory Meecham with an ox team to take her to her long resting life and he had his two girls with him. There were several girl friends there with me and we went alone to the grave young ones. That day the grave and the bishop and the one with the team. She was put away and it was dark when we was ready to leave the graveyard. I will not try to repress my grief. It is more than I can do. What few things was left to us I tried to fix in as good a shape as I could and went away from Keanesville to work. I went to the Indian Mission on the other side of the Missouri River. It was called the Bell View Mission. I believe it was about 15 miles below winter quarters. I came back to Keanesville and fixed what I thought was for the best to come to the valley. The first company was to start about the first of May. We started a little earlier because we were ready o n  this side of the river and there was a large emigrant company just starting out so we joined the company and came ahead of the Mormon emigration. The journey was long and tiresome but like everything, it came to an end.

I had thought I would not write much more of my life history it has started to set down, but I am here alone and will begin and write a little more. The feed was good traveling up along the north side of the Platte River and we got along all right the first part of the journey but when we crossed over the Platte River we came to where the emigration route joined. Then things began to change. The cholera had done its work. There were thousands of dollars worth of property scattered by the wayside. Some because of the Cholera and some because the cattle were given out and the wagons had to be unloaded so as to lighten the loads so the cattle could travel . Wagons were left. Bacon piled up by the cords as nice as I ever saw. Stoves, trunks and everything one could think of. Most of the wagons damaged or the most of the stoves were damaged also yet there were many things that were useful to the poor destitute Mormon emigration. We had traveled along and making most of the roads as we traveled along. The buffaloes were very plentiful on the Platte River but as we neared the foothills of the mountains the cattle got footsore and tired and many gave out. There was one very peculiar camping place coming along somewhere near Independence Rock on the Sweetwater River. It seems as thought the cattle and horses could smell something. They would give a sniff and a snort and startle and a regular stampede followed. The whole herd would startle wagons when they were hitched to them. I happened to be in one of the wagons when it was stampeded and one of the girls Elisabeth and Catherine Hickman and Enerry Meecham the lad that was driving the oxen. They turned to the right of the road towards the hills or mountains and ran about 3 quarters of a mile or more. The wheel oxen fell, the tongue of the wagon plunging into the ground. I was holding the bows of the wagon on one side and Kate on the other side. The stop the wagon was so quick that the boxes broke and threw us both out, one on one side and the other on the other. I was insensible a few minutes but things were fixed up and the journey resumed. President Young said that was one of the Gadeanton Robbers strongholds and there had been great battles fought there and there was wicked spirits there to guard the place. For all or nearly all emigrants as well as the Mormons were stampeded there, pack animals and all the first part of the time but later I did not hear of it being so bad. 

We made the rest of the journey without much trouble until we came to the foot of the big mountain. When we arrived at the foot of the mountain it was noon. We had to stop and let the cattle rest and refresh ourselves for we had a long journey for the afternoon. We could not stop where we were overnight for want of feed and water. It was five miles to the top of the mountain and when we got to the top it was almost straight down, only trees cut down and the stumps and logs to hold the wagons from falling on the oxen. We all had to walk to the top but it was nearly dark when we found ourselves to the bottom of the mountain. I was sick with mountain fever but I walked all the same. The next day we came down through Emigration Canyon into Salt Lake Valley. There my brother Edward met me and took me to his house. I stayed with him a few days till the family that I was with got settled a little for the winter. Then I went back home with my husband. It was useless for me to try to describe the hardships and deprivations of the first settlers of the Latter day saints that settled these valleys. Mine is much like most of the saints. We as a people all have a history, mine is much the same as the rest. In the spring of 50 February the 14th my oldest son is born. There was an immense sight of snow on the ground and in some places the houses were drifted over and fences were covered and the wood being scarce. It was a very unpleasant time but the lord provides and helps those who put their trust in him. I was living in Salt Lake City in the southwest corner of the old fort in a little adobe house. My husband had been called on with the company of minute men to go to Provo Valley to fight the Indians who had been committing predations in that valley driving off cattle and killing them and causing much trouble to the settlers. My baby boy was just a week old when he returned home. It was two days later when the weather moderated and a thaw set in. It was a welcome to everyone. The Indians from the Warm Springs came around to the houses and brought the measles with them. It seems that they had gotten them some way as they were living out of doors and so much exposure. A great many of them died not knowing how to take care of themselves, it being a bad season of the years to have them too.

My baby boy had the measles and Catherine Hickman who was living with me but the Lord blessed us and we all got well and when the spring opened we moved over the Jordan River and took up land and made a home between Taylor Mill and Bishop Gardener’s Mill. It gradually became settled all the way up the river and later on bridges were built. When the water was low we could ford the river with the team but in high water a wagon box had to be tightened up some way to make it across the river for business had to go on. The first 204 the year 50 we all went to Salt Lake to celebrate the anniversary of our coming to the valley. We had one cow for all the family which numbered 9 with my baby. When we came home the next day the wolved had torn her bag so very bad that she was never able to give any more milk. In fact she never got well. My brother Edward let us have a cow to milk that summer till we were able to get another. We were not successful in getting the water out of the Jordan River to water the land. The banks were too high to get the water on the land to irrigate with. Later on there was a big ditch taken out a way up the river several miles and there was great hope to the settlers. The water had to be taken around a large clay bank. It would break away and when there was a heavy rain it would wash the clay away. So it in time had to be abandoned in the summer of 50 my husband went to California to see what luck he would have there. When he had been gone a month or six weeks, my oldest girl was born, Sarah Maria. When she was about three months old, I went to Salt Lake City to my brother Edward’s to do the work and take care of Sister Belinda Wade for she was to be confirmed in March, which she was. Monroe Wade was born at that time. While I lived there, I left Willy, my dear little boy at home with Mrs. Brenette Hickman. She was more than a mother to my children. She knew how to take care of them. I did not. Then I learned later on how to do for them. July the 3rd 1852 my husband returned home from California. He brought home some horses and a little money and some nice gold specimens that he dug out of the ground. I went from my brother’s home again. When he came back home, he followed. The following winter was very cold and bad winter for everyone, both man and beasts. No one had anything more than he needed for his own family but the Lord helped us to sustain ourselves. Wood was scarce. Green willows made our fires and warmed us, our cooking was very limited.

Nothing of importance transpired till New Year’s Day Jan 1, 1853. What few of the neighbors was living on Jordan joined to gather to have a little social time to Brother John Benjones. Each one tried to contribute something to help make it pleasant. I had just enjoyed a nice dinner, as good as the Wades could afford and just gone on before to help form the first cotillion when a gentleman came in the house and came to me and told me I was wanted to go to Brother Layton’s. His wife was sick and I must go. I left the company and went there. They lived about a mile above our house on a section of land my husband had sold Brother Layton. Before 12 o’clock a son came to them to bless their home. He had one little girl by his first wife who died before he went in the Mormon battalion and the girl was with her grandma in Farmington. The following summer, my son Moses Edward was born August 8, 1953. There was many things transpired as years went on. How I made history I will not try to relate. My life was much the same as many other women. The sick had to be cared for and it seemed my lot to care for the sick at homw and abroad, far and near and my husband seemed to proud to have me go do good. I always was handy with my needle and I found plenty of needlework to do for the family as well as for the neighbors. It helped us to get along in the hard times. I also learned to card the wool and spin the yarn and color it to make the cloth for the children’s clothes and the stockings they wore as we did not have sheep. I would spin on shears to get the roles and then spin and get the cloth made for winter but it did not seem so very bad to work. I was thankful to be able to work and help others. I have tried to help others as well as myself, have had very little done for me since I was a little child. I don’t know what it is to be waited on or cared for as other women do. I have always done for other people, gotten along as best I could. When I have been sick, I have mostly stayed in bed or kept still till I was able to get out and rustle again. When my children were with me, they helped me and were kind to me. But before they were old enough to help me sometimes I had a hard time. To get along since they have left me, many times I wish in my loneliness, oh if I had a friend to come and say a kind work and be a little company, I would be thankful. I am lonely but truly I am thankful for my dear home and that I am as well as I am and think if it was not just as it is, I don’t know how I would be. I realize the Lord lets the sun shine on the just as well as the unjust. I for one desire to be one of his just ones.  

Reflections. In 1867, a change came to all of the family. We all of us agreed to break up the marriage relationship – that is, the polygamist ties joining us together and each one going for ourselves and doing the best we could for our children. I had given me what my husband could spare me and the children. He fixed us up as best he could to come up north here to my brother Edward’s to live in North Ogden. He gave us a yoke of oxen and wagon, one cow. He paid $100 for the oxen, $50 for the cow. A span of horses and two colts. The biggest colt I was to let Edward have and a hundred pounds of flour. I had all my traps and a loom. I thought I could make a living by weaving. I soon found it was too hard work. It was wearing me down. I had to let it go and try something else. I wove about five hundred yards of cloth before I quit. I have done every kind of work that can be mentioned in the line of work to raise and support my children there in North Ogden till the days of there need is over and they are all grown to manhood and womanhood and I know that I still feel that I have more work to do. I see something every day that I can do to do good.

North Ogden April 28th 1901. This morning 5 o’clock a girl was born to Reubin Godfrey and Janey Vanderhoof Godfrey…

Today at 2 o’clock the Sisters of the Relief Society came here in honor of my 70th birthday. We have had a very nice sociable time. I could not ask for anything more pleasant. It was surely a grand surprise to me. My heart is filled with joy and gratitude to God my Heavenly Father for his preserving my life to see this day and be able to join in love with my sisters as I have today. 

July 2022 ·· jayirvinh